Monday, December 12, 2005

Idoits on the loose

I grew up in the Sutherland Shire and frankly this weekends violence comes as no surprise to me. The fact that two lifeguards were attacked is bad enough, but the meathead vigilante response is disgusting. All ethnic groups all over the world have their good and bad elements. Why? Because they're human beings! And all human beings have good and bad in them, it just depends and what side of the fence our personal attitudes reside on. I found the Sutherland Shire to be pretty much full of the downside of the anglo-celtic culture. Racist, igorant, and my biggest issue with them: meatheads stupid enough to actually act on their macho, bullying attitudes. Some Shire boys WILL start fights and cause havoc over nothing or some imagined incident or ill informed xenophobia. They're that dumb. Are all people in the Sutherland Shire like that? Of course not, but this xenophobia holds the order of the day down there much more than it does in many other parts of the city. Growing up down there, it was crime to be "different" in any way, down to your choice of music of t-shirt, let alone being from a different racial or cultural background. I remember copping racism when I was a kid new to the area in 1980, and I was English! Half their grandfathers were probably English, but my thick Northern accent marked me out as different. That's the mob mentality that has always existed. I'm sure too, that some of the dropkicks from other parts of the city go there to stir up touble too. These fools all need their heads banged together. So welcome to the dark side of Sydney. All cities have them. Ours was on full show this weekend. Australias future is not about some fantasy anglo-celtic homogenous society, or some recreation of the middle east or continental Europe. Move on! Let's use or imagination here. Also I see the Prime Minister and leader of the opposition have yet to comment. Could this be because they know the power of playing the race card?

Read about it here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home